Please note that this is just an overview and does not mention or explain every new feature.
The following is a (probably incomplete) list of changes made between the 3.1 and 3.2 release of MorphOS to the ROM (boot.img) based components.
Quark and Related Modules
- PowerBook G4 Aluminum support, targeting following models:
System ID System Name Model PowerBook5,2 PowerBook G4 Aluminum 15'' A1046 PowerBook5,3 PowerBook G4 Aluminum 17'' A1052 PowerBook5,4 PowerBook G4 Aluminum 15'' A1095 PowerBook5,5 PowerBook G4 Aluminum 17'' A1085
- iBook G4 support, targeting following models:
System ID System Name Model PowerBook6,3 iBook G4 12'' A1054 PowerBook6,3 iBook G4 14'' A1055 PowerBook6,5 iBook G4 12'' A1054 PowerBook6,5 iBook G4 14'' A1055 PowerBook6,7 iBook G4 12'' A1133 PowerBook6,7 iBook G4 14'' A1134
- PowerMac G5 support, targeting following models:
System ID System Name Model PowerMac7,3 PowerMac G5 A1047
- When a stack trace resolves to the Abox module area, the exact module name and offset is printed rather than just 'Module'.
- iBook support.
- Better filtering of failed status reads.
- Added support for hardware accelerated BltMaskBmRp.
- Miscellaneous fixes.
- Better LCD brightness versus screensaver handling.
- Fixed an issue in which a right mouse button press over a screenbar wouldn't always open the menu of a MUI application.
- Updated to handle R300 3D support.
- Support for ADB keyboards and touchpads.
- With screens smaller than the display area, the content outside screen area wasn't always cleared.
- System critical tasks are no longer stopped by reaching maxhits. Fixes a scenario in which a crashing 3rd party input handler causes the input.device task to be suspended.
- Miscellaneous fixes.
- Disable write reordering. Fixes filesystem consistency issues with some hard drives.
- Fixed a problem where data and instruction caches were not properly flushed for some auxiliary code sections generated by GCC4. Fixes random crashes most notably noticed with the SDK.
- Do not crash in UninstallDiskChangeHandler() if InstallDiskChangeHandler() was not called.
- Fixed to default to 107 char file/directory names.
- Routines to guess the keyboard type based on user input. Fixes wrong mapping of some keys of the PowerBook (USB) keyboards.
- Support for narcoleptic PowerBooks.
- Overlay graphics for LCD and keyboard backlight changes.
- Ambient Light Sensor support.
- Fixed to ignore some of the input coming from external USB keyboards.
- Cooling adjustments.
- iBook G4 support.
- Support for the G5 PowerMac SATA controller.
- Separated sensors into classes.
- Added child sensor support.
- String attributes support.
- Heavily extended notification capabilities.
- iBook G4 support.
- Better recalibration routines to avoid mouse pointer being stuck when the hardware temperature (sensor noise) changes.
- Added dead corners support to avoid spurious input while typing.
Following is a (probably incomplete) list of changes made to the disk based components of MorphOS. While not mentioned for every component translations were updated for most of them. Also various cosmetic fixes were applied here and there.
- Icon information window now shows the disk name.
- New panels implementation with a lot of new features.
Applications/Benchmark/DiskSpeed NewA disk performance benchmark tool.
Applications/Benchmark/GfxSpeed NewA graphics performance benchmark tool.
- Automatically finds and downloads CD covers when online.
- Fixed a bug where manually typing Author/Title fields didn't work.
- Paranoia quality settings.
- Faster CDDA scan.
- CUE file handling.
- cdrecord USB burner fix.
- Improved device scan to detect more connected devices.
- Rewritten audio ripping routines.
- Now burns all 44.1kHz 16 bit stereo audio formats that can be decoded with Reggae.
- Audio normalization when burning.
- Fixed progress reports on some media types and burners.
Applications/Odyssey Web Browser
- Version 1.20, based on WebKit r144529 (March 2013).
- Fixes a bug in websocket handling.
- Plugins are now expected to have version 2 or later.
- Added copy image URL location in image context menu.
Applications/RDesktop NewA Remote Desktop client.
- Updated OpenSSL to 1.0.1e.
Applications/Scandal NewAdvanced frontend for Betascan scanner drivers.
- Supports many charset encodings, including editing UTF-8 and widechar based files.
- Fixed a wipeout hit when opening empty files.
- Updated Artistic Style to 2.02.1.
- TIFF/PNG/ILBM savers now store the DPI.
- Compression can now be selected for TIFF images.
- Improved long path handling.
- Misc fixes.
- Text selection and copy to clipboard support.
- Improved font fallback strategies.
- Misc fixes.
Applications/ZVNC Reloaded NewInput only VNC client featuring a MUI interface and a screenbar module.
C/DiskCache NewReworked DynamiCache disk caching engine to improve I/O performance. Mostly useful for developers.
- TO/K was broken and always wrote an empty file.
- Handles the disk caching service.
- Support for wireless networks.
- Fixed QUICK DATES output.
- Support for wireless interfaces.
C/PathPart NewSplit and assemble file names.
- Transitions between pictures.
- Configurable fonts and text position/sizes.
Classes/MUI/Chart NewDisplays charts in MUI applications.
- Added social networking links.
- UTF-8 documents support with settable encoding per file and on-the-fly conversions.
- UTF-8 clipboard support.
- Improved redraw and general speed significantly.
- Removed least important lexers to reduce binary size.
- Rewritten the ttengine based font engine.
- Automatic completion no longer causes project indexing to stop.
- Fixed an annoying bug that caused random actions to be executed by repeatedly pressing qualifier keys.
Classes/MUI/WPASupplicant NewUser interface for the wireless networks management.
- Improved default unmount ejection pattern.
Classes/Screenbar/Energy NewDisplays battery status information.
- Double click now opens GraphicBoards utility.
- Double click now opens Fragment tool.
- Fixed bogus percentage output.
Classes/Screenbar/Thermal NewDisplays output from temperature sensors.
Classes/USB/Xbox360 NewSupports Xbox 360 wired and wireless pads (using a PC USB adapter) using the new sensors.library based input API. Handles all buttons, LEDs, battery and the rumble motors.
- Added support for the Radeon M12 chip.
- Added backlight control support for PowerBook6,3.
- Added enhanced graphics operations support for R300 chips.
- Added support for 1920x1200 17" PowerBook G4 replacement panels.
- Fixed a problem with certain resolutions on Radeon 9600XT.
- Improved cache flush handling.
- Improved WaitForIdle reliability.
- Added support for UniNorth 3 AGP controllers
- Fixed not to hang if no hardware audio drivers were found.
- Migrated from OpenPCI to pcix.library.
- Support for the PowerMac G5 audio.
Devs/Networks/Atheros5000 NewDriver for Atheros5000 based PCMCIA and PCI wireless network cards.
- Support for the G5 networking.
- Improved auto-negotiation.
- Fixed the .info file filtering.
- Updated to cairo 1.12.2.
- Improved performance of calls using MIBENUM_SYSTEM.
- Fixed not to try to terminate a NULL string.
- No longer generates interlaced modes from detailed timing descriptors.
- Stores EDID data in generated monitor files.
- Reads EDID extension block if available.
- Monitor name length fixes.
- Issue with Dirlist.mui fixed.
- Reworked directory scanning.
- Reworked removable handling.
- Various other improvements.
- Updated to fontconfig 2.9.91.
- Fixed default font directories to include "_pcf".
Libs/hpdf.library NewA library for generating PDF files.
- Improved the realpath() function to comply with POSIX.1-2008.
- Added Berkeley Packet Filter support.
- Miscellaneous compatibility fixes.
- No longer considers language names beginning with "english" as the built in internal English language.
- Updated liblzma to 5.0.4.
- Updated the ids data.
- Fixed a problem with Wipeout 2097 when running in window mode
- Improved search speed for wrongly spelled word
- User dictionary support with learn feature
- XPK compressed dictionary support
- Experimental cached dictionary for faster loading (useful for huge dictionary)
- Fixed triangle strip and quad strip rendering when setting glRenderMode() to GL_SELECT.
- The escape key is no longer hard-coded to quit the application in GLUT-created windows.
- Fixed the initial OpenGL line, light and color states.
- Optimized the texture pixel format conversion routines.
- Fixed a rare case where calling glCopyTexSubImage2D() could lead to a crash.
- Added limited support for glPolygonMode(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK, GL_LINE).
- Fixed a problem when calling glPopAttrib() with GL_TEXTURE_BIT set.
- glDrawArrays(), glDrawElements() and glDrawRangeElements() now truncate the index/element count to the previous valid value if invalid.
- Fixed a rare case where draw calls with a large amount of primitives could cause tinygl.library to enter an infinite loop.
- If opening a GLUT fullscreen context fails, it will first try to open a windowed context instead before returning a failure to the application.
- Fixed 2048x2048x32 textures to work.
Libs/tinygl/r300.library New3D support for R300 based graphic cards.
Libs/threadpool.library NewProvides a pool of threads that can be used to execute tasks.
NetStackMajor update of the whole NetStack kernel.
- Dynamic window scaling to improve performance.
- Berkeley Packet Filter support using the same API as RoadShow.
- Overall redesign and many other performance improvements.
Network/WirelessManager NewBasic wireless networking support.
Prefs/Cache NewDisk caching settings.
- Added ALS settings.
- Added keyboard backlight timeout settings.
- Fixed the duplicate mode check.
- Support for wireless interfaces.
- Added media saving framework. With this feature applications can easily save sounds and images in user selected format. Localized GUI for codec selection and parameters can be generated by Reggae. Then objects needed for saving media can be created and set up automatically. Adding audio and image saving feature to any application is now very easy, also applications will support any new codecs added in the future without application recompilation.
- Added savers for following audio formats:
- WAVE, PCM, 8/16/24/32 bits
- AIFF, 8/16/24/32 bits
- raw samples, 8/16/24/32 bits, big/little endian, signed/unsigned.
- Added savers for following image formats:
- PNG, 24-bit RGB, 32-bit RGB + alpha, adjustable compression strength
- JPEG, 24-bit RGB, optional progressiveness, adjustable compression strength
- TIFF, 24-bit RGB, 32-bit RGB + alpha. Supported compressions: none, packbits, LZW, deflate, JPEG.
- IFF DEEP, 24-bit RGB, 32-bit RGB + alpha
- SunRaster, 24-bit RGB, 32-bit RGB + alpha
- raw pixels, RGB24, BGR24, ARGB32, RGBA32, BGRA32.
- New streams (data sources):
- clipboard.stream, reads from the system clipboard
- datapush.stream, for interfacing Reggae with code actively pushing media data.
- Other new classes:
- gapless.filter, provides gapless playback of multiple audio files
- normalize.filter, two-pass audio stream level normalization
- stream.buffer, autofilling FIFO buffer for buffered media reading
- file.output, for writing processed media to files.
- New features in existing classes:
- multimedia.class provides conversion of error numbers to localized error descriptions
- multimedia.class provides automatic conversion between different PCM audio and video formats when connecting objects. This feature helps to avoid double format conversion in many cases.
- audio.output features quick mute, initial volume setting.
- Bug fixes:
- WAVE files may be played from non-seekable sources. It fixes problem with playing Audio CD tracks shown by Ambient as WAVE files
- audio MPEG-2 streams sampled at 22.05 kHz and MPEG-2.5 streams sampled at 11.025 kHz are now recognized and played
- alpha channel in gray + alpha PNG images is decoded properly
- fixed bugs in conversion of palette based images
- some text files are no more recognized as Targa images
- improved error handling and overall stability of audio.output
- countless small bug fixes and improvements.
- New Settings window.
- Improved screenbar module.
- Start & end of track events are now scriptable.
- New icon.
- Added word wrapping support to AGuide display.
- Support for AGuide's image tag.
- Fixed AGuide's jcenter and jright tags.
- Fixed flicker when zooming with keyboard.
- Fixed 'System boots from...' display to handle boot priorities.
- G5 support.
- Added support for user-selectable filesystem handlers.
Tools/NetStat NewDisplays various network statistics.